Sunday, December 2, 2007

Ambassadors Ball

Yesterday we celebrated the Ambassadors' Ball on the ship. Almost everyone on the ship gets dressed up for a fancy dinner (two glasses of wine and a champagne toast) and then an evening of dancing, as well as a slide show. Below are more pictures of me in one post than ever before seen...I apologize in advance!

Below is Evette Young and her son, Ralston, who is my favorite five-year-old on the planet (and not just because I taught him how to use the Scantron machine and grade the Global Studies exams). They live in LA and we are plotting my future travel to visit them there:

Here is Professor Ruth Krulfeld (one of two anthropology professors on the ship, Professor Wattenmaker of UVa being the other fabulous one) and Professor Monty Elliott (astronomy) with me at dinner:

Two of my favorite students on the ship (is it okay to have favorites??? I mean Mom says I'm the favorite, so it must be okay, right Lauren, Marisa, and Zabrina??)

Below (left to right) are Anna, the Director of Student Life; her husband, August, a history professor; Jim, the Assistant Executive Dean; Jim's wife, Nancy, part of the medical team; Ed, the Executive Dean; and Marilynne, Ed's wife and a mental health counselor on the ship.

Fellow UVMer and Resident Director, Akirah, and I pose for the camera:

Meagan, the Assistant Director of Student Life; Katie, a mental health counselor on the ship; and Eric, a Resident Director:

Jess, Katie, Alexis, and Akirah pose for the camera at our preparty celebration:

Nancy and Jim, my neighbors, killing time in the hallway as we stood in line to get into the dinner:

Doc Linda, Nurse Karen, Husband Paul, and me making our plans for Alaska! Karen and Linda live and work in Anchorage and they offered up a trip for ten people in the ship's charity auction that ten of us bid for...and won!

The Captain and I at a special occasion dining event earlier in the week (I told you; it is a rough life on the ship!)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Lexy,

Mom says that I have reclaimed my hallowed place as The Favorite because you abandoned her for your sea voyage and I am the third-born daughter. :-P Love you can't wait to see you this weekend! :-D

xoxo,
Uncle Learney

Anonymous said...

AA, I cannot believe that you will be returning in less than a week. I am so excited. Your entries and pictures have been so phenomenal and I can't wait to hear your stories in person. We all miss you and can't wait for your safe return.

Many hugs,

Ish

PS. We must go to Arch's shortly after you return. Maybe SA can join us???

Anonymous said...

Hi Alexis,
Thanks for sharing the beautiful photos. I love the one with you and Rlaston and Ivette. I sailed with J&I in S95, before that sweet Ralston was born. But I had the pleasure of meeting him in San Diego. i certainly understand why he would be one of your very favorite 5 year olds.
Enjoy your final days at sea.

Debbie Clifford

Anonymous said...

I can not wait to see you! Me Lovey! Tim

Unknown said...

You sure made the Captain night, Sure wish you were sitting next to me. amaes@netzero.net