Sunday, September 9, 2007

A Captain's Life for Me





Last night I had the privilege to once again enjoy fine food and drink aboard the MV Explorer. The administrative team for the voyage (the executive dean, the academic dean, the field office manager, the director of student life, the assistant executive dean, and yours truly) as well as several faculty members were in for a delicious treat with the ship's officers. Our evening started with cocktails and hors d'oeuvres. The dinner was arranged so there were four tables with an officer at each table. I got to hear all about life at sea and earning one's captain's license. I sat at Staff Captain Kostas's table where we were served a five course meal with copious amounts of Chilean wine--red and white. Delicious. Captain Kostas is is second in command should anything happen to the ship's captain.
After a leisurely dinner in the dining hall that is seriously one of the best meals I've ever had (this is nothing like the dining hall at the Naval Academy Ring Dance--date from hell--you know who you are) we headed back to the faculty staff lounge where the Aegean Sea was having their sea social. The Aegean Sea is the name for one of the decks on the ship where students live; the Yellow, Mediterreanean, Caribbean, Baltic, Adriatic, Bering, and Red Seas are other decks that will also get the chance to have a social in the faculty/staff lounge which is usually off-limits to students. We had a dance party where everyone including the ship's officers got onto the floor and danced. We are dancing our way into Yokahama. Only two more days!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who was manning the ship??
Sounds like you are experiencing the good life, my friend. Keep living it up!

Zabrina S. Andres said...

Ooo dreamy sea captains with fun hats and good food to boot! I bet the Chilean wine was tasty. You look very pretty in the pictures :)

jpehlke said...

Say "hi" to Costas for me, Alexis!! He is awesome! If you tell him I was the RD in charge of the Sea Olympics, he might remember me...
Have fun in Japan!

jpehlke said...

Say "hi" to Costas for me, Alexis!! He is awesome! If you tell him I was the RD in charge of the Sea Olympics, he might remember me...
Have fun in Japan!

vhawes said...

Virginia 24 - Duke 13
Lalich is the real deal, but it will probably take Groh the entire season to realize it. Dookies missed 3, yes 3, field goals. Our long snapper had a very bad day. Santi - 2 TDs. Connie sat with us and we toasted you with a Maker's Mark and Diet Coke. love, vhawes

Sarah said...

I swear, every day sounds like it is filled with eating fantastic food and drinking liberally. What a trip! Speaking of trips, check out my blog where you will see my favorite Virginian sitting atop her pile of luggage at the SD airport, like a princess on her throne.

Mary JO said...

Alexis,
Sounds like a trip of a lifetime, Keep the news and pics coming there are very interesting. Don't know if you got my e-mail that Lynette and Jeremy had PARKER JAMES MEYER on August 8, 2007 at 2:51 pm weighing in @ 7# 14 oz and 20" long, he is beautiful. You can view his baptism that they had this past Sunday, on their first anniversary, at the following link:
http://ypmproductions.com/videos/parker.htm
Less than two weeks to Bruce's wedding, then I need a vacation!!!

Anonymous said...

Alexis, love the pictures of you on the ship. You look fantastic...so glad to hear that you are having the experience of a lifetime! Keep the pictures coming...it's so much fun to keep up with you and find out the latest details!

PS. We will soon be sending you a picture of our dinner at Orzo last Saturday night. We missed you...

Rachel Most said...

Your blog is amazing and I am having a blast reading it. You will be a tough act to follow... I'll never be able to match it. I hope everything continues to go well and that you are happy and well.